Buccleuch Park Forum Index
Buccleuch Park
Where we Live 
 FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in 

Rubbish dumped in street.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Rubbish dumped in street. Reply with quote

Will you all please keep a lookout for the person or people who are dumping their domestic rubbish in tied-up plastic bags on the streets and pavements? A neighbour thinks (but does not have any evidence) that it is someone who lives in Buccleuch Park but does not have a binroom key! If any of you have any idea who it may be please let me know.
thanks
Gavin.
GWright

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lucas,

I live at 98 Buccleuch Street and am aware of the issue you mention.
I am sick to the back teeth with Garnethill being messed up by people too lazy to dispose of rubbish properly. I have only lived in Buccleuch Street for ~6 months, but prior to this I lived in New City Road for 6.5 years, and we had the same problem there.

Recently I emailed Councillor Gordon Matheson, to complain and insist that the Council raise their game in fighting the issue. People of all backgrounds can be responsible, but Chinese residents are by far the worst offenders. Just last weekend when parking my car, I noticed yet another load of chinese food wrappers (actual chinese goods, I dont mean a take-away), empty beer cans and ciggarette ends dumped in the gardens. As I was due to have guests that day, this was the final straw, hence my email to Mr matheson. I await a response from him.

It really does beggar belief that people can be so filthy - they are even walking past the bins to dump rubbish in the gardens/street. It doesnt wash to say "oh, they dont have a bin key". Well, I lost my bin key but I dont dump in the streets - I asked to borrow one from a neighbour. Its is a question of dignity and having respect for your community, not of having a bin key or not.

I have pointed out that such dumping is commonplace in Garnethill, and that the Councils efforts simply arent good enough. They need to take action to identify and punish those responsible.

Best regards
G Wright
HYT106

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Rubbish Reply with quote

Litter on the streets, especially on my doorstep, is also one of my pet hates. If I saw someone dump rubbish, I would ask them to reframe from doing so, no matter who they were.

The Chinese residents in our development tend to be permanent residents and come from the older generation, who do take pride in their area and are law-abiding. It is more likely that the newer, younger Chinese tenants &/or their visitors are contributing to the mess. Yes, this could be due to laziness but also ignorance of local customs and lack of English to ask neighbours for assistance. I wouldn't say that they are the worst offenders.

In 106, the bin-store is a disgrace, never mind the streets. I and the other Chinese residents there are definitely not the culprits and grudgingly pay our "share" of fees to H&P to get someone in to do a clearance. However, instead of blaming a particular group, lets continue to set a good example, speak to our neighbours and lobby the Council.
bernimac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Rubbish Reply with quote

I put an old microwave on the kerbside last Tuesday night which the council were supposed to uplift on Wednesday. When I saw it hadn't been done I reported it to the council cleansing dept who were supposed to phone me back. Guess what - no return call.

Today I called the clean glasgow number to be told that they are probably catching up over the christmas backlog and it should be lifted this Wednesday.

This is just in case anyone thinks I just dumped it there without a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Buccleuch Park Forum Index -> General Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: